|#25 (Prod #166210) "The Hoots"
Teleplay By: Lionel E. Siegel Story By: Jason McKinnon
Directed By:: Robert Totten (also #23)
First Broadcast: ABC, December 13, 1973
Guest Stars: Anthony Zerbe (also #43), Laurie Prange, Jock Mahoney
Special Guest Star: Howard Da Silva
Regular Cast: David Carradine, Philip Ahn, Keye Luke, Radames Pera
- "I have knowledge of healing [including setting bones]." - Caine
- "I, too, follow a path, perhaps not unlike your own." - Caine to Hoots
- Singing "helps me work." - Caine
- "Is it not good for the body to do the best it can and so give pleasure to you for doing something well?" - Caine
- "'I am puzzled.' - Caine
'That is the beginning of wisdom.'" - Po
- "The purpose of discipline is to live more fully, not less." - Master Po (the KF Book of Caine*2* wrongly claims this was said by Master Kan so the script may have had it that way)
- "Let tears come when your heart tells you of its sadness. Let joy come unasked, unplanned." - Master Po
- Playing the flute "heals the wounds of loneliness." - Caine
- "It is written, 'Shape clay into a vessel, it is the space within that gives it value. Place doors and windows in a house, it is the opening that brings light within. Set spokes within a wheel, it is the emptiness of the hub that makes them useful.' Therefore be the space at the center. Be nothing and you will have everything to give to others." - Master Po (refers to TAO TE CHING chapter #11 which is also quoted in #54 "The Thief of Chendo")
- "Will you not defend yourself?" - Caine, on complete pacifism
- "It is written in the Tao Te Ching:
- 'Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty only because there is ugliness.
- All can know good as good only because there is evil.
- Therefore having and not having arise together.
- Difficult and easy complement each other.
- [Long and short contrast each other;]
- High and low rest upon each other;
- [Voice and sound harmonize each other;]
- Front and back follow one another.'" - Master Po quoting TAO #2 [F]
- "Be like the sun and what is within you will warm the earth."- Master Po
- "Do you not find. . . peace only within you?" - Caine
- "Is it not better to think of what you will find than what you will lose?" - Caine
- "I made this flute from a willow tree that grew nearby." - Caine
- At the end of this story, Caine gives away his flute keeping only a smaller, lesser one. In episode #27 he makes a new one. (Anderson's KF Book*2* claims this is the first time Caine plays the flute - it was actually in #17 "The Assassin.")
- "Will you not give voice to your pain?" - Master Kan*2*p2
- "The sound of pain is as proper as the sound of laughter." - Master Kan*2*p51
- ". . . the chameleon. . . A small lizard. He has the great gift of changing the color of his skin, that he may hide himself from predators. . . . Yet he never changes himself. . . . He is still. . . a chameleon." - Caine (in broadcast)*2*p100